Monday, October 22, 2007

My little reader

So the past few months I've been really concerned because Lexi isn't reading much. We talked to her teachers and wondered if she was having trouble in class. They said she was fine-no problem at all. I started really working with her a few weeks ago, and was starting to feel encouraged about her progress. Until tonight. When my kid read me her homework. Literally READ me her homework-a page in French. She can read in French and I never knew it. Oh.My.Goodness. So all this time she has been trying to read in English, she has been translating the vowel sounds, rules on silent letters, etc. that she has learned in school into English sounds. That's why she is slower when we read in English. I am amazed at this child.

1 comment:

deanna said...

Yay! It's so fun when they amaze us, isn't it?