Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Well. It is now official that we are moving back to the States in July. Sometimes this makes me really happy, but mostly I am just SAD about it. France is our home. We have come to love it. It was a hard battle. As many of you know, our first two years here were extremely difficult. At least for myself and the children. We are at a place now where the kids have dear friends and really good school situations. It is so painful to think about leaving.
But...life goes on, and we must go with it.
Olivia, Lexi and I talk every day about things we are looking forward to upon our return. Being nearer to family tops the list. Maybe getting a puppy. Queso. You know-the basics! We talk about the things we'll miss about France-and there are a LOT. Mostly it's the people. For Olivia-it's her school and all her sweet friends there. The pace of life is much slower here, and I love that.
There are a few things about France that we will not miss, however.
We all decided that the biggest thing is...
Men PEEING in public.
that's right.
It's absolutely disgusting. Most of the time, they don't even bother to try and hide. we see it every day. It is not something we get used to. It's everwhere-along the highway, normal roads, in town. But the place it bothers me the most is having to see it from my very own driveway.
We live a little out in the country, but the road in front of our house is quite busy. There's a little pull-out just below our driveway, and it's a very popular place for men to pull over and pee. It's just so nauseating.
I really wonder if this is a European thing or a french thing. We really don't recall seeing this anywhere else in our time here.
We did see it one time on the road in Italy. But the car had French plates...

4 comments:

deedee said...

I HAVE to meet you before July! Maybe December book club or Thanksgiving..
I must have been here too long, the guys on the side of the road don't phase me much anymore. I once rode to a concert with a male musician friend, who stopped on the side of the road with me waiting in his car. But having them stop right in front of my house might irk me.

kim said...

I'm on the "moving back roller coaster" right now too. We leave in 32 days for the States and I have days that I am beyond excited and days when I am sad to the core.

I agree 100% with men peeing in public. Perhaps it's because we live in French-speaking Switzerland, but they pee everywhere here too. In fact, just yesterday a man was peeing towards the road instead of (at least) turning toward the field. Seriously?

tony sheng said...

wow. i think maybe we thought you were going to move back eventually but no idea it was so soon. but that's exciting news! and a little bit daunting huh....

Tammy said...

I always enjoy reading your blogs Megan. Sounds like you and your family have been doing some really great things for the Lord there in France! I'm sorry you're sad about leaving....I hope He fills that sadness with lots of love, peace and blessings. I know many, many people will be glad to have you back home! :o)