Sunday, July 23, 2006


It's been a few days since I have posted, and to be honest, I just haven't wanted to. I've been having a bit of a pity party lately, and really didn't want to expose anyone else to it. The reality that is our life recently has not been fun. There have been fun parts, for sure, but we are all struggling. We have been living out of suitcases for 7 weeks, we have been totally relying on others for housing and transportation, our children are missing home (as are we!) and now we are trying to navigate the logostics of getting to France without visas. When we applied for our visas, the website said in one place the process can take 2-3 months. In another spot on the same site it said under the right circumstances, it's possible to walk out with it the same day. I called to consulate and they confirmed the same day situation. The day we applied in Houston, the gal said "oh no...it takes 6 weeks-sometimes 4 weeks, sometimes a little more than 6." We are now into 12 weeks and haven't heard a word. I pray and pray and try not to feel frustrated and overwhelmed and sad, and a lot of times I dont' feel that way, but sometimes I do.

We have to leave on Wednesday for Aix, as we are now at the deadline for making on time to Staff Conference. We aren't even in the "field" yet, but already realize how much we need the support and encouragement of others who have been through similar experiences. At some point in the next 2-3 months Teal and I will have to make a 2 day trip back to the states to get the visas.

I still feel convicted that we are doing what God wants us, because even with the frustrations, setbacks, and the nightmare of trying to buy train tickets for our trip to Amsterdam (trust me on this one-if anyone ever needs tickets, email me and I will help you!!) I still have an underlying peace that I cannot explain. I guess I don't have to explain it, because I know where it comes from...

I am truly humbled by this whole experience, and have learned so much about the greatness of God, the blessing of family, and the frailness of myself.

No comments: